[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare Daisy files maintain Bolding, Font point sizes, Italics, and more

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:05:38 -0600

Hi Judy!

Thanks for your comparison of Times New Roman and Ariel. It made sense. Since my husband has low vision, I should ask him what he prefers.

Now that you mention Currier, I was trying to think of that one, so thanks for jogging my memory.

Debby

At 01:15 PM 11/11/2009, Judy s. wrote
Quoting Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Debby,

Times Roman isn't a fancy font per se, but it adds a line at right
angles or at 45-degree angles to the tops and/or bottoms of several
letters and numbers that Arial portrays as simple straight lines.
This makes it easier for the sighted reader to distinguish between the
letter capital "I" and the numeral "1" for example, which look
identical in Arial to the sighted reader.  Times New Roman portrays
the lower case "a" very differently also.  For most sighted readers
without impairment, times new roman is an excellent font because of
it's accuracy.  Arial is too, but Times New Roman is used as the
default for all kinds of things.

Having said that, all bets are off when you add in any loss of visual
acuity.  My vision impaired friends tell me that the little flourishes
that make times new roman easier to read for regular sighted reader
blur together and make it harder to read for them.

Neither are fixed width fonts.  The most common fixed width font that
seems to still be around is courier or "courier new."

Hope that helps!  smile.

Judy s.

How about Times New Roman?  Is it a simple font too?  If not, why
aren't we using Ariel?  Also, are they both fixed width fonts?

Debby

At 10:39 PM 11/8/2009, Mayrie ReNae wrote
Hi Monica,

       I think I can accurately answer your wondering as to why bookshare
has chosen its standardized font as Ariel.  Ariel is a very, very simple
font, It is most similar to the letters we learned in preschool as print
letters.  They have few, if any flourishes to complicate the shape of the
letters.  Let me give you an example.