[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare Daisy files maintain Bolding, Font point sizes, Italics, and more

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 18:25:20 -0600

Judy, is there anything you should do to create a list that bookshare's tools keep. I've not run across a list, yet, and wanted to know how to handle it when I do. I'm using MS Word XP to proof.

Melissa

Judy s. wrote:
Hi all,

With a lot of the questioning about what the DAISY files keep from the rft, I wanted to confirm the following from my own experiences. When the Bookshare tools translate a rtf into the DAISY files and the associated XML files that a sighted Bookshare member might read they always maintain:

1. Bolding
2. Font Point sizes
3. Italics
4. Tables (tables that were creates as true tables, using the Word tables tools, for example).
5. Ordered and unordered lists
6. page numbering and pagination

I'd like to take a moment to really thank all the volunteers who are working to keep these attributes in the books they scan, even when those attributes don't make any difference to their own reading and can be hard to understand. smile.

For someone who is sighted, a book with all these attributes stripped out is like listening to a symphony where every member plays every instrument at the same volume, without any variation, all the way through. You can listen to it, and still enjoy the music. However, you've definitely lost some parts of what the composer intended to convey and might not be able to notice a theme that the oboes are repeating because the deep brass are drowning them out. grin.

Judy s.