[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books with HOLDs

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:24:18 -0500

As a matter of fact, as of last night -- that was the last time I was browsing the checkout list -- there was at least one being held for you. "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
 http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Books with HOLDs
To: "Bookshare Vol Group" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 3:30 PM
Hi all,

Since we've had loads of complaints about books with
HOLDs in their titles languishing in the checkout queue for
weeks, months and years, the Bookshare Collection
Development department has instituted a new policy. If a
book has been on the checkout list for more than 2 weeks
with a HOLD in its title, I will remove the HOLD to allow
other people to proof the book.

On January 1st, I will remove the HOLDs on all books that
were submitted prior to December 1st. This is to give people
time to finish their current books and start on their new
ones that have HOLDs on them. On January 15th, I'll
remove the HOLDs on any books that were submitted during
December, and then the 2-week rule will go into effect.

I know that some people will love this, and other
 people will hate it. Let's try it for a while, and see
how it goes. If the vast majority of people hate this, then
we'll revisit it.

By the way, having a time limit on HOLD books in the
checkout queue was one of the top suggestions in the
volunteer survey that Pavi sent out. She is working on an
email to be sent to everyone that details the results of the
survey. The survey provided a huge amount of really valuable
feedback, so thanks very much to everyone who participated
in it!

Happy holidays! Carrie