[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books on the List

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:54:44 -0700 (PDT)

Patti,

The Fair rating is an automatic one that bookshare
gives if the scanner has not checked a rating. Many
people who validate their own books before submitting
them check excellent or Good when they submit the
book. Don't worry if you can't tell if pages are
legible or not. Just press down as hard as you can,
especially near the binding, when you scan, and try
not to skip any pages. The validator will check and
rate your book. If there are too many missing or
illegible pages he/sge will reject it, but you'll
still have it for your own use. If the validator can
fix it, it will go into the collection and you'll get
credit. There is one person who is,or was, scanning
whose scans were notoriously poor. They are romances
of varous kinds (Christian,Harlequin,etc.) and
validators have learned to stay away from them. I
tried one that was oo poor even for me to bother with,
and am doing one now that is really in pretty good
shape, except for several missing pages here and
there,and some garbled -- but the story is interesting
enough for me to continue with the book, and it's a
Christian romance that I know people want in the
collection. I've made valdiating Fair books my mission
here, if I can.

Re the ratings: When the validator finishes validating
and is ready to approve the book, he/she *should*
change the rating to refelct the condition it is now
in. If the book is Poor, the validator should reject
it, soit should never get into the collection.

I corrected a Fair book that was in the collection (it
was put back onto the download list for me to get) and
it definitely should have been rated Poor and/or
rejected. The name of the submitter was a former
bookshare employee, but I think it may have been one
of the books submitted by students and so it probably
wasn't checked carefully. It was an
elementary-school-level book that definitely belonged
in the collection, and I actually enjoyed re-reading
it, even though it was a lot of work. I think my brain
and/or personality must be split -- I love  reading
the books  for upper elementary and junior high level
as well as adult books -- re-reading some that my kids
read at the time and reading ones that have come onto
the market since they grew up. I'd love to read some
of the ones I had as a kid. I see that THe Five LIttle
Peppers and Heidi and Little Lame Prince are in the
collection. I wonder if they read as well today. If
anyone can find The Adventures of a Brownie I'd be
happy to validate it.  Although Ihaven't read the
Borrowers, I suspect it's similar. I still remember
the Brownie's problems with the house cat.

Cindy

  What
> constitutes a fair rating?  This is what I don't
> understand; seems like if that one got accepted, the
> others should have too.  Why is there a fair rating
> anyway, and why are those books accepted if they are
> only rated fair?  I have no way of telling how many
> pages are legible and how many not.  T

Yahoo! Mail