[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books Without Page Numbers

  • From: Pascha Lea <pascha2u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I don't post here a lot and I only validate as I don't have a scanner. This
topic caught my eye, and I decided to de-lurk and comment.

I'm no lawyer and certainly not an expert, but I don't think page numbers fall
under copyright law. In fact, the Supreme Court turned down some publisher that
tried to copyright their page numbers back in 1998 (at least according to my
google search on the topic).

I thought page numbering was more a function of the printer, and not the writer
or the publisher? I also thought copyright only applied to original content? I
know that we do not have to include things like indexes and footnotes when
scanning/validating materials (although I always do, because I know how
important those things can be to students) and I think that is because lists of
facts are not included under copyright law.

I always include page numbers on the books that I validate, even if one is not
included. For example, some printers don't put a page number on a page that
starts a chapter - I usually put the page number back.  On the other hand, I
would never, NEVER change textual content. I find loads of typos that were left
in by the printers/editors, and I never change those, either. The only time
I've ever added any other text is to describe a chart or a picture.

When a Braille user downloads a book to read, doesn't Daisy add page numbers
anyway? I'm sorry if this is a silly question - I'm sighted and unable to
download books from Bookshare, so I have no idea how they look/feel/sound when
they are downloaded.

Lea

Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Hi, Kenneth.  I do understand your point of view.  As an educator,
>you need accurate scans with page numbers.  On the flip side, many
>children's books and some other types of books do not have print
>page numbers.  These books couldn't go into the Bookshare collection
>if page numbers were required.  I suppose we could add page numbers,
>although I don't know what the publishers might think of us doing
>that.  Also, the book I just scanned has come out as a 99.87 percent
>accuracy scan, but none of its page numbers have scanned.  I could
>number the pages, and I'd be guessing since I don't know if the
>actual book starts on page one or some other page as some books
>do.  It has a foreword, and I think the book actually begins on page
>13.  I can't verify it though because my scanner just won't
>recognize any page numbers.  I don't have a handy solution and am
>trying to describe the experience from my perspective.  I would like
>to find a way to compromise so we're all happy.

Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?