[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books Without Page Numbers

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:46:10 -0400

Lori, I do see your dilemma. It's why Bookshare doesn't require page numbers
right now. The page numbers in books don't always scan correctly, and some
books don't have page numbers in print. Sometimes it really doesn't matter.

My issue isn't with books like yours. Mine is with people deliberately using
techniques to remove page numbers that did scan properly. I'm not guessing
that they did it. They told me so and in the presence of other volunteers as
well. They say that since Bookshare doesn't require them, no one cares if
they're stripped out.  This bothers me because both of these people ended up
having missing pages in their books, and they couldn't provide them to me
since they had no page numbers to go on and couldn't find the print pages in
their books. I ended up buying print books just to go through and find the
missing text. I discovered from having the books myself that a whole chapter
was missing from the file I was proofreading. I probably should have just
rejected these books as soon as I saw missing text, and I probably will in
the future if I can't tell how many pages are missing.

Also, even though it may sound strange, some people do need access to the
correct print page numbers with light fiction. Sometimes people are using
these books in book clubs, citing them for book reports, quoting them in
blog posts or reviews, or referring to the book when writing a paper of
literary criticism. I did my literary criticism paper on Agatha Christie's
work, and I had an awful time because many of the Bookshare copies lack page
numbers. Citation became a time-consuming issue, and that's normally the
easy part of writing a term paper.

I guess there isn't a clear-cut answer here. This is why I should stick to
scanning. (smile)

Monica Willyard

database 4026 (20090421) __________

http://www.eset.com