[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book talkRE: Re: The Lost Symbol is in!

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:58:47 -0700

Hi, Ann, thanks for telling me that story, and since I can't claim to know
you as well as I hope to in future, the story wasn't old news to me. I don't
know about the Samizdat store. I did have a little adventure today which I
relate: My friend Rhanda knows of a site where you can download Braille
books, but unfortunately, I don't know the URL for it, else I would pass it
on to you. I was hunting for Shirley by Charlotte Bronte, thinking I'd read
it in future. Bookshare has a copy with a "good" quality rating and Project
Gutenberg (much to my consternation) doesn't have that particular book by
Bronte on their web site. What I did was to search for Braille downloads, I
think I wrote "Braille download of Shirley by Charlotte Bronte" or
"Downloadable Braille books". The upshot of my search was I could enter the
site, browse authors or titles. I found my book and I was informed I could
download it in two ways, either as volumes or chapters in zip files. I chose
the volume download, thinking (hoping) I would be getting the whole book.
That is what I got. I extracted the zip folder and when I entered it, I
found eight files, each file representing a volume. I think you'll like that
site, for you can find Jack London, Dickens, Shakespeare, Aristophanes,
Aristotle, Aeschylus, etc. Thought you'd like another source of books you
can keep. Regards, Kim.