[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Circle of Love

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:38:44 -0400

Last book in the Orphan Train Adventures.

Circle of Love
By Joan Lowery Nixon

needs a spell check, all pages accounted for and read through. 179 pages.

From the Book Jacket:
As the children filed out of the room, Miss Hunter spoke quietly to Frances.
"You got along with them nicely. I knew you would, you being a teacher."
"I know how they feel," Frances said.
"These poor little foundlings and waifs? Well, as best you can, I suppose."
Frances didn't try to explain. She listened politely to Miss Hunter's advice
about how to handle troublemakers, and how to arrange orderly visits to the
small necessity in the railway car and to the privies at depot stops, and
how to keep the boys from hanging out the train windows or climbing over the
other passengers in the railway car.
But Frances's mind went from child to child. No matter whether there'd been
tears or smiles, each of them was facing a difficult journey.
"I'll be fine, and so will the children," Frances assured Miss Hunter. She
meant what she said with all her heart and tried to push away the doubts
that kept repeating. Don't be so sure. You know as well as you know your own
name, Frances Mary Kelly, that on this trip anything can happen.

The Civil war is over and Johnny has come home. But to Frances's dismay,
Johnny is hesitant to marry her. Attempting to ease her aching heart,
Frances accepts an offer to go to New York City and escort a group of
orphans out west to new homes. Along the way,she must deal with a flood of
painful memories and a threatening stranger. Will Frances be able to
complete her mission . . . and return home to find out what her future will
be?

"Contains sadness, love, danger, and suspense. Young readers . . . will not
want to miss this installment."

"Excellent historical fiction . . . Frances Mary and her young charges find
adventure, fear, despair and love in this fast-moving story."
-Book Report

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council