[bksvol-discuss] Book Submitted: Search and Rescue

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:26:35 -0400

With our record snow fall yesterday, places near us, received over fourteen
inches in less than twenty four hours, we got twelve or so, and with it,
being the consistency of the ice you get in snow cones, things are quite a
mess.  Pennsylvania, is well, drowned, in the west in snow in the East in
rain.

Ah, so staying inside was a good idea, so I got the following done.

Search and Rescue
By Samantha Glen and marry Parasisi SP.

Just needs a spell check.  I removed headers, except page numbers, and fixed
chapter headings so they won't get mistaken.  All pages are accounted for,
and is a good read.  Under the .rtf section of the website.

The crowds got bigger as the team got closer to the Myriad Center. They
lined the  pavement   as   if  drawn  by   some
invisible force, yet the quiet remained
unbroken. Faces along the route were
wet with tears that no one tried to hide.
Then Beth heard a voice cut the still morning as in prayer. "Yea, though I
walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil." It
was a final, wrenching homage to the victims of the bombing. The voice
echoed inside Beth's head. "I shall fear no evil," she
chanted  over  and  over  again,  trying
desperately to keep her feelings at bay.
         Beth felt her anger melt away. She
and Czar would be all right; she'd make sure of that. The people of Oklahoma
had reminded them of what their volunteer of love was all about. The motto
of search and rescue-to save lives   and   reduce   human   suffering-
made it all worthwhile for her and the
white shepherd...

Beth Barkley was tired of having a life indoors.  And so was her white
German Shepherd Panda.  After reading an article in the newspaper about
search and Rescue dogs, she decided to train with Panda as a canine team.
This story is there struggles to become a team, their work, in disasters,
from lost children, missing people, an encounter with a bear, to earthquakes
in El Salvador, Armenia, and mud slides in Virginia to their hardest
challenge helping with the Oklahoma City Bombing.  Follow Beth as she trains
with first Panda, then Sirius, then Czar, and their adventures, both
humorous and sad.  Look into the world of search and rescue, the struggles
that dog and handle endure every day.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council