[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Question

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:07:27 -0800

Hi Jackie,

The page count on the Bookshare web site is not always accurate.  Figuring
out page count is a little tricky.

What version of Word are you using?  This will make a difference in how I
give you detailed instructions.

However, I'll give you a brief explanation of how page count is determined.
Use your file in Word, and let the Bookshare tools on the web site be what
they are, which is not always as accurate.

Books often have numbered pages, that is pages numbered in arabic numerals.
There are also often preliminary and end matter pages which are not
numbered.

You need to find page 1 in your book. That arabic numbered page 1.  Pages
before that are preliminary pages and need to be numbered in lower case
roman numerals starting at the beginning of the book (excluding any matter
from the back cover, and/or front flaps, which pages come before the roman
numeral numbered pages.  So, you've got potentially four sets of pages to
count to get a page count.

Here's an example:
You might have text from the back cover, text from the front flap of a book
jacket, and text from the back flap of a book jacket each on one page of
your Word (rtf) file.

That's a total of three pages.

Next you might have for example, six pages of preliminary material, a title
page, a copyright page, a page of acknowledgments, a dedication page, and
two blank pages before page arabic 1 of the book.

This is a total of six more pages to be added to your previously counted
preliminary pages for a total of 9 pages.

Now let's say that your book has arabic numbered pages 1-300. That, added to
your 9 preliminary pages,
 gives you a total of 309 pages.

There may be end matter pages perhaps an appendix, and/or an index, and/or a
bibliography. Maybe even perhaps advertising pages as well.  These might add
up to  a total of 35 pages, and should be numbered in arabic numbers
continuing the page count from the last numbered page in the file. You need
to add page numbers where they aren't present because OCR doesn't always
capture page numbers.

Add that number to your previous number of 309 pages and you have a total
page count of 344 pages.

If you're lucky, adding all of the different sections of the book will give
you the number of pages that Word thinks are in the file.

If the number after adding all these sections of pages together doesn't
match what Word thinks exist in the file, then you need to determine whether
Word is adding in soft page breaks and remove those by increasing your paper
size until the number of actual pages in the book agrees with what Word says
there are in number of pages.

I know that's all complicated seeming, but once you get the hang of it, it's
not difficult to manage.

Please let me know if you need more explanation of how to figure out page
count, and I'll help you out.

If need be, you can contact me off list so that others don't have to read
through our discussion of how to figure out proper page count in books.

My two e-mail addresses are:
mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx
or
mayrier@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Mayrie