[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bolded words in text

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:04:40 -0500

Cindy, I think your question is a good one. It's impossible for us to tell
for sure that a word needs to be bolded or italicized if it didn't scan that
way. I think there is a break even point where blind submitters and
proofreaders have to say that we've done our best and let it go. For us,
it's hard enough just getting at the content of a book. It's like when a
book has a misprint in the text. We don't know it and think it's a scanno,
so we correct it. We can't know that the word is misspelled in the text. I
guess what I'm saying is that at some point we have to have faith in
ourselves and act on that.

What's interesting to me is that sighted proofreaders have a few problems
too. I've seen several cases where the proofreader mistook a 1 or l for an
i. That's impossible with Braille or speech because they are very different.
Yet in print, in some fonts, the 1 and I are similar. That happens with the
0 and o sometimes too. The lesson I take from this is that we each have our
week spots and strengths.

The bulk of the Bookshare collection has been scanned and proofread by
volunteers with all kinds of disabilities, over 50,000 books. Our diversity
has given us so much and has taken us so far. I'm amazed by what we have
done as a group. There are over 60,000 books in the collection now, thanks
to publishers and the work Carrie and her staff are doing. In many
instances, people can't tell which books were scanned by whom these days,
and that makes me happy. (smile)

Monica Willyard