[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bolded words in text

Cindy, I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but every single book in the bookshare library is available in daisy format, as well as a .brf or Braille file. If you are using Kurzweil, you can have it set to speak the "emphasized text" in a different voice. The "emphasized text" as I understand is text that is bolded or italicized. Kurzweil does recognize text as either being bolded or Italicized, but it is not always accurate. It is difficult for us blind proofers and scanners to know for sure what is supposed to be bolded or Italicized, but if there is a pattern, it can be figured out. For instance, in a recent book I scanned, there were quotes from others that appeared in italics. Kurzweil recognized it as such. I had a sighted person check the first couple of quotes and confirmed that they were in italics, so I knew that was the case through the rest of the book. If you choose to, you can have your screenreader set to speak the font changes, which I do when proofing, but not when doing my normal work.

Melissa

Cindy wrote:
But we don't know when we submit or upload books whether they're going to be
converted to Daisy or not, do we? And we're supposed to keep the file as
cl;close as possible to the print book, so I'd retain italics, bold, and larger
fonts as needed--jmo.

When one is listening to a book (is that Daisy?), does one hear emphasis when a
word is italicized? Do you scanners listen when you scan? Or how do you know if
words need to be italicized? The book I'm soon to upload I have because it
needed page breaks, but as I put in the breaks I found I had to  eye-scan the
print page because there are a lot of words I found that  hadto be changed in
the file to italics. It was just accident that a sighted proofer happened to
get this file. How would a blind scanner know that a book needed a sighted
proofer to put in italics? Can the OCR be set to scan italicised words or words
with an odd font?

cindy

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: