[bksvol-discuss] Re: Best cookbooks How many does Bookshare have

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kkellyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:27:59 -0600

Debby,

Do you know the methodology in determining why these cookbooks are
best?  I looked on the website of “Cooking Light” who produced the
list and found the listing of these books without an explanation of
why these books were chosen and not others.

Missing from the Bookshare collection are cookbooks that use
sustainablly produced meats and nourishing grains with the preparation
methods of traditional people.  Grass fed and finished meat has about
half the water content of conventional meat, requiring low
temperatures and slow cooking times along with particular preparation
methods to yield tender, juicy meat.  Similarly, grains, nuts and
seeds contain phytic acid, a compound that allows them to last for
many years without rotting.  Unfortunately, phytic acid prevents the
absorption of nutrients in the body, causing nutritional deficiency.
Before the modern era, people traditionally soaked there grains to
eliminate or drastically reduce the unhealthful phytates. Very few
cookbooks offer a bread baking process or bread recipes that soak the
grains sufficiently to significantly remove the phytates.  None of
these are in Bookshare. While the book “Ancient Grains for Modern
Meals” speaks of traditional foods, the author is more concerned about
taste and quick preparation rather than nutrition and our health.

I welcome others who wish to join me in working to add amazing
cookbooks of highly nourishing food to the Bookshare collection.
Otherwise, we are simply just adding more variations of the same
cookbook theme.

Kelly