[bksvol-discuss] Re: Best cookbooks How many does Bookshare have

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:35:07 -0600

True, there are a lot of recipes on the internet, and I use them as well. That doesn't mean there aren't particular cookbooks that I wouldn't like to have.

Melissa Smith

On 11/27/2011 10:32 AM, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
The last time cookbooks came up on this list I think I mentioned this, but I will mention it again. If you are connected to the Internet then you already have the biggest cookbook in the world. Try going to Google. Type in whatever ingredients you have on hand and then type in the word recipe. You will get scads of recipes. If you are interested in certain kinds of recipes rather than just the ingredients you have on hand then type in the appropriate words, whether it is a word identifying an ethnicity or a region or certain kinds of cooking utensils or whatever.

Hi, I am very picky about the cookbooks I like. I'm extremely interested in ethnic cookbooks as well as subject cookbooks, examples would be grains, beans (or legumes) vegetables, fruits (if the family only makes boring preparations for veggies and fruit cookbooks are definitely desired for ideas), herbs and spices, sauces, chutneys, jams, pickles, preserves and conserves, ground meat preparations, smoking, sausage-making, everything having to do with desserts, pies, puddings, cakes, muffins, scones, biscuits, rolls, etc., making your own cereals,. A lot of cookbooks for us as blind people do tend to dumb things down a bit, don't you think? When someone wasinstructing me how to cook, I felt the lessons I got didn't help much. For one thing the lessons occurred once a week and I don't think they got into the techniques for preparing food effectively. There were no thermometers then and God help you if you told the instructor you wanted to make yeast bread from scratch, use the deep-fryer or broiler, etc. To this day I'm scared to light matches, I don't know how to deep-fry or barbecue anything, and I've never canned anything. Regards, Kim Friedman.