[bksvol-discuss] Bertrice Small's Beloved and Betrayed

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 23:29:22 -0700 (PDT)

If no one else takes them after a while, after I've
finished other things, I will. I'd enjoy reading them
again. I know we have a lot of Bertrice Small fans,
though, so hopefully someone who hasn't yet read these
will take them.

Folks, Beloved is not part of a series. It is a
historical biographical novel about Zenobia (her name
means beloved in Arabic supposedly), a third-century
queen of Palmyria, which was a Roman protectorate or
province or whatever. She hoped to become free from
Roma and an independent country, and indeed add to her
land--but lots of things happen before then.

As with all Small books, there is a tastefully but
explicitly described sex and, in this book, because of
the time and the culture, rape, torture and violence.
But the facts are all true--I researched her because I
found the ending hard to believe, let alone everything
else, and indeed, the historical events happened.

Cindy