[bksvol-discuss] Re: Benetech official ruling on spelling mistakes

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:08:56 -0600

It is much more likely that r and t would be confused by the OCR
software than by the publishers.  Yes, they do make mistakes, but you
should normally be able to guess correctly about errors.  The more
experience you have in editing the more you learn what is within the
relm of possibility for scannos, and what obviously was a mistake in the
book.  You know that we can't always make the books we scan perfect, so
we don't have to give up scanning and editing if we are blind and can't
always check the print book.  I am not going to waste the time of sited
people asking them to check every little mistake when there is about a
one in a million chance that the mistake is not a scanno.  If I
accidently change/correct a letter that I am certain was a scanno, and
it really was a mistake in the book, I'll just pretend that my change
was a scanno. ;-)

Now when I find a sentence that I think is really strange I will try to
ask someone about it, and I find that about two thirds of the time that
was the way the sentence was written in the book, and about one third of
the time it was caused by a strange scanning problem.  The statistics
seem about the same for strange words, but of course they are much
easier to check without assistance.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity