[bksvol-discuss] Re: Benetech official ruling on spelling mistakes

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:14:17 -0800

Hi. Yes, but how is one supposed to know whether the misspelling is in the original or not? Take the first edition of Tolkien books for example. There were many typographic mistakes. "dwarves" and "dwarfs" come to mind. How is one supposed to know which is correct? Also, often I am correcting books and a letter is off, as if it was typed incorrectly at the time of printing, but it could just as easily be a scanning mistake. An example would be "t" instead of "r" for instance. Obviously, unless I'm the original submitter, I have no access to the book to check. I could ask the submitter in some cases but presumably they have no easy way to read the book either except to rescan it. Is there an official answer on this or does anyone have other thoughts?

At 11:45 AM 3/7/2005 -0800, you wrote:

Just to weigh in here for a moment. If there is a misspelled book in the hard copy, and its the same misspelling in the soft copy, keep it as such.

If the word has been split due to weird hyphenation, go ahead and fix it.