[bksvol-discuss] Re: Benetech official ruling on spelling mistakes

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:07:02 -0800

Hi. For the most part, I agree with you completely. I am not going to ask a sighted person to check a book either. If I am in doubt, I will leave the word alone, even though I know it is wrong. One recent example is puRhed or some such. It is obviously wrong but I have no idea what it could be. I am not going to take a chance on inventing a word and possibly exposing myself and/or bookshare to law suits because the core content of the book was changed. Someone else can get and rescan the printed book if it is a big enough deal. Finally, I'll just add that while I don't read print, I do know that the shapes of letters are different, so t instead of r could not be an OCR error even if it looks like one because the shape of the letter is different. But then, one particularly funny scanning error is "taco" instead of "fate."

At 10:08 AM 3/8/2005 -0600, you wrote:

It is much more likely that r and t would be confused by the OCR
software than by the publishers.  Yes, they do make mistakes, but you
should normally be able to guess correctly about errors.  The more
experience you have in editing the more you learn what is within the
relm of possibility for scannos, and what obviously was a mistake in the
book.  You know that we can't always make the books we scan perfect, so
we don't have to give up scanning and editing if we are blind and can't
always check the print book.  I am not going to waste the time of sited
people asking them to check every little mistake when there is about a
one in a million chance that the mistake is not a scanno.  If I
accidently change/correct a letter that I am certain was a scanno, and
it really was a mistake in the book, I'll just pretend that my change
was a scanno. ;-)