[bksvol-discuss] Belated Introductions to Bookshare Summer In-House Volunteers

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:29:37 -0700

Volunteers,

Sometimes the obvious just slips right past me!

For the past month a steady flow of summer volunteers have contacted Bookshare.
Several have started to come in regularly. In fact, on Wednesdays we have had
up to eight scheduled (although not quite that many computer available for
them. smile )

I have asked some of our regular summer in-house volunteers to write up a quick
note about themselves and their tasks. Some chop & scan textbooks. Some file or
recycle books off to Africa or a landfill. Some write synopses. Others
quality-check books and metadata on PQ and vendor submissions. All of them
contribute firsthand descriptions of their tasks to me for incorporation into
training materials for future volunteers.

I'll share notes from these in-house volunteers here on the list as "OT" as
they come in. These volunteers won't become list members while working in-house
as their tasks are somewhat different than what off-site volunteers do but some
have indicated a desire to continue as scanners an proofers after their time
here as well so over time you will get to know them too.

Volunteers are dsefinely not going out of fashion at Bookshare. Your work is
still at the heart of growing the Bookshare collection and fulfilling the
mission of getting high-quality books out to print-disabled readers in a timely
way.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department To unsubscribe from this list
send a blank Email to