[bksvol-discuss] Re: Beginning Volunteer Ideas

  • From: Emily Harrison <greeniebone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 17:31:20 -0500

I like the idea of volunteer mentors, though it may be difficult to arrange,
given that every volunteer comes from such different circumstances and
experience levels, and uses different software and methods overall.
However, I'm sure it would be worthwhile, if it could be arranged somehow.
I'm fortunate in that I joined as a volunteer with the intention of being a
"proofing team" with my best friend, and because one of us is blind and the
other is sighted, we are able to work through proofing issues from both
sides of the coin, so to speak.

Also, to Roger: For the record, I had your scan, *E Pluribus Unicorn*,
checked out for almost two months, and worked very hard on it.  I had solved
the line spacing issue within my own software, but saving the file to .rtf
eliminated the line spacing fixes, no matter what I tried.  After spending
many, many hours experimenting with other software and trying to find a
solution, I finally had to release it back to Bookshare.  So in other words,
it's not that I'm a beginning proofer who didn't recognize the problems with
your scan, but that my proofing software was not sufficient to overcome
them.

--
Emily Harrison
greeniebone@xxxxxxxxx