[bksvol-discuss] Re: Barbara

Mayrie, I know what you mean about the old HP scanners. It was a sad day when I had to carry mine to the truck to be taken to a recycling center. Repairing it would have cost more than buying a new scanner, but I felt like it was the end of an era in my scanning life. It was hard to adjust to a new and much smaller scanner since legal size scanners aren't so common or affordable these days. You're right about the price thing. It doesn't always signify quality, and your scans with your new scanner are still great. (smile) I solved the scanner buttons issue by turning my scanner sideways. That way my arm doesn't come anywhere near the buttons. It also leaves the buttons operational for my daughter when she wants to scan and email photos. An unexpected benefit of doing this is that I don't have to reach as far forward to line up my pages, a boon for a person with a chronic shoulder injury. (smile)

Monica Willyard

On Friday 11/3/2006 11:58 AM, you wrote:
Hi Barbara,

If you are using an HP 3p or 4p, I'd keep it. I know they're old, but mine just died a natural death after an extremely long life scanning. I loved the scans that I got with it. I'm now using a Visioneer 5800, and it does a fine job, but is slower, which I have had to learn not to mind. If you happen to go with the visioneer, which you can buy very cheaply, (I got mine on ebay for $25 including shipping) you will want to disable the one touch buttons. If you don't, and I know this, you may end up with double or more the number of page breaks in a book than really exist. Without knowing that anything was happening, my arm pressed some button while I was pressing down the book to scan. I'm sure that not everyone will agree with me, but sometimes less costly is not a bad thing. I hope this helps.

Peace,

Mayrie