[bksvol-discuss] Re: Barbara

  • From: "Jackie M." <xercon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:38:27 -0700

Hi,

There are two things you can do as a volunteer: 1. scan and submit "new"
books to the website; they are "validated" (proofread, checked for copyright
info. and to make sure they are not already scanned and on the Bookshare
website), etc.  I personally have validated books up to this point; I am
scanning my first one now.

There are short help documents on the volunteer web page that give you
instructions for "submitting" a book and "validating" a book.  I am putting
those terms in quotes because that is how Bookshare folks refer to them.  If
you are validating a book, you have to finish it within a week, or it goes
back to the website for someone else to work on.  If you need more than a
week, you can go to the step 2, upload a book, and you can "renew" the book
that is checked out to you.  Or if you decide you don't like the book or
don't have time to work on it that week, you can go to the step 2 upload
section and "release" it so you send it back to the website and someone else
can then work on it.  (your copy of the file does not go back to the
website, but the authority to work on that book does.)

If you are validating a book, your first step should always be to search the
Bookshare books to make sure no one has submitted it previously.  You should
also do that if you intend to scan a book.  If it's not already there, you
can choose to scan a book from the wish list, or any other book you want.
Be careful to observe the details as stated in the help documents, such as
stating authors names as first name then last name, and separating more than
one author by commas, etc

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I or someone else on
this list will be happy to answer them.

- Jackie McCraw

i----- Original Message -----