[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit them?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:33:42 -0600

JFW reports appropriate section numbers upon ins-pagedown.  These seem
however to be based on the currently loaded template rather than on any
particular control codes found in the document.  We could physically
insert a page  break at each spot following a ctrl-pagedown,  but I fear
that may not match necessarily the print copy.  Another way may be to scan
the paperback anyhow, and then to use it only to locate appropriate page
break which we would then insert in the publisher-perfect etext.

Interesting problem.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
01/07/2008 04:09 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit them?

Hi Guido,

Word 2007 reports Section X of Y on the status bar if there are multiple
sections in a file.  I don’t recall 2003 reporting that info.  But, try
Insert+PGDN (or JAWS+Page down).  I must say Word 2007 is a lot better at
reporting relevant info.  If you don’t find that info, try doing a global
replace for ^b with ^m and see what’s reported.  If word manages to
replace multiple occurrences, you can safely assume that it was the case.
In any case, it doesn’t hirt to replace section breaks with hard page
breaks.  If you do have multiple occurrences and manage to replace them,
save the file and reopen it in Kurzweil 1000.  Now Kurzweil 1000 should
reportcorrect number of pages.

Prat

That's entirely possible Prat.  How do we check for 'section breaks' in MS
Word / JFW?  G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
01/07/2008 02:54 PM

Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit them?

There appears to be some inconsistency on how books derive their page
numbers.  Not all books have correct page breaks.  I just downloaded two
books for comparison purposes.  One had no hard page breaks, the other,
had some hard page breaks and other soft breaks.  Guido, the version you
downloaded, how many sections does Word report having in that file?  I
suspect that that particular book probably has the infamous section breaks
that FR is so fond of inserting instead of hard page breaks.  That
probably is the reason why Kurzweil 1000 decided not to like those pages
too.

Prat