[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bad pages in scan

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:42:15 -0500

Hi Shelley,

On a related note, for users of Openbook, if you have color scanning turned on it also forces you to turn a number of other items on, one of which causes the image files to be retained in the resulting ARK file. This is ok during the scanning phase, unless your system has either limited memory, or it is a long book. At some point, at least on my system using Openbook 6.01, Windows XP, and 512MB of RAM, the recognition will either fail, or the resulting OCR will become dismal. The only way I've found around this is to scan the books in multiple files, and then join them after converting to RTF.
I know this wasn't dealing with the point of your message, and I don't know if Openbook 7... has fixed this bug, but I thought it worth mentioning for some other Openbook users who may come across this problem.

Dave

At 12:03 AM 1/2/2005, you wrote:
I have noticed something while scanning books in two page mode.  Even with
the confidence setting set at a reasonable percentage mine is at 97.5% It
will confidently misrecognize it seems at least one page in the books I am
doing.

I have been noticing this more as I do more books for Bookshare and edit
them before submitting.
 Out of the last three books I scanned with two page mode, all of them, had
one to  three pages I had to rescan.  I have ran across some books where
this doesn't happen but they seem to be pretty rare.

I usually have columns on, two page scanning, and either static or grayscale
threshold.  The pages it messes up on are usually text, no pictures.

And the really strange part is these particular pages are easy one's to
recognize.

I do line the book up flush, and it is usually at an optomized setting, but
it kind of bugs me as I have to go back later, and get the book to replace
the pages.

I wonder why it is happening though.

Shelley L. Rhodes and Judson, guiding golden juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc. Graduate Advisory Council www.guidedogs.com

-- Vance Havner