[bksvol-discuss] Re: Attempting a b s o copy

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:25:23 -0400

Given the decision to not accept fixed up books which a bookshare user can download and fix up, I am going to release some books which need a great deal of fixing up. If it is worth it to re-scan books already in the collection rather than fixing them up perhaps validators like myself will want to similarly suggest more re-scans and fixing up.

The KCraft of Research is one case where a lot of pages are missing. Somebody else may be able to figure out what is going on.

E.
At 10:11 AM 6/5/2007, you wrote:
Anastasia,

There are issues with converting books in the collection to other formats, and I believe the staff has decided that they would prefer a book to be rescanned. They recently reworded the note on the Volunteer Home Page. It no longer says:

Bookshare welcomes improved submissions of books you download from our site. While you're reading a book you have downloaded from Bookshare.org, if and when you encounter errors, please feel free to correct those errors. When you're done with the book, you have a better copy than what you downloaded from our site, right? Share that improved book with us. Submit the new book. Or, if you finish reading one of our books of improvable quality, have access to a printed copy, and have the time and resources to rescan the book entirely, please, feel free to do a complete re-scan of the book.

To help cut down on confusion, please title any submission of an improved book with "BSO-"then the title. For example "BSO-The House on Pooh Corner" or, "BSO-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". This helps the Bookshare.org staff figure out that yes, you are submitting an improved copy of a book. This saves all of us time because we don't have to hold the book in the submisison process to check with the validator or the submitter to make sure the submission isn't a duplicate.

It now says:

If you'd like to improve the quality of a book in our collection, feel free to do a rescan of the book. To help cut down on confusion, as to whether you're submitting a duplicate or an improved rescan, please title any submission of an improved book with "BSO-"then the title; for example "BSO-The House on Pooh Corner" or, "BSO-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

As you found out, the problem with converting books from the collection using Word or another word processor is that the page breaks are lost. I believe the problem with converting books from the the collection using K-1000 is that page numbers are lost due to Bookshare and KESI storing the page number info differently. If that's the case, then the loss of page breaks or page numbers would automatically make a book lesser quality than that in the collection.

In any case, as you can see, the note on the website was reworded to say

If you'd like to improve the quality of a book in our collection, feel free to do a rescan of the book.

Before you go to any more trouble, you may want to check with John at <mailto:volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to see if your BSO book will be accepted.

HTH

Gerald