[bksvol-discuss] Re: Announcement

  • From: Tracy Carcione <carcione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:33:49 -0500

Grand!  If I can be replaced, well then, let it be by a Swedish god!  All
hail mighty Thor! Bring on the Hammer!
Tracy

Beginning on Monday, April 4th, book submissions waiting to be validated for
more than two weeks will be automatically processed by a validating tool and
either accepted or rejected for the collection. Because of our successes
with the stripper and other automating processes, we're pretty much
convinced that computer judgement is just as good as human judgement.

>  Obviously you might ask, where does this put the volunteers? Well, not
too much will change, other than the fact that if you see a title on the
download page that you like, you should snatch it up immediately. Who knows?
The validation tool, whom we've named "Thor," might zap it up the next day.

>  Anyway, we figured that this would be much more convenient for everyone
involved, especially me, so I don't have to listen to complaints as to how
long the download list is from day to day.

>  And on that note, we've also decided to terminate the volunteer list,
starting Monday, April 4th. The idea behind this is that the Bookshare.org
Ops team needs to rule with an iron fist, and voices of dissent and critique
don't have a place in this fuzzy nonprofit.

>  Oh, and I'll be out of the office for most of the day, getting more books
to flood the step one page. So I'll get back to you by Monday.

>  I realize all of this is a lot to process. Happy April First. I can't
believe another month has passed.

>  Best,
>  Marissa
><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Announcement</TITLE>
><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252">
><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Marissa,</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>How much of this is "April fools" and how much is
>real?&nbsp; :-)&nbsp; Is any of it (two week validation and termination of
this
>list) true?&nbsp; Or are you just pulling our legs?</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
>style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
>  <DIV
>  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color:
black"><B>From:</B>
title=bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx