[bksvol-discuss] Re: An alternative to validating fair quality submissions

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:36:43 -0700

I'll tell yall what, folks--I am absolutely utterly & profoundly
astounded at how much cleaning up of this book I'm doing that was
rated frickin excellent on step 1! Somehow it just does not seem quite
right-- oodles & oodles ofspurious characters, quite a few letters
messed up, & I'm rather suspecting even some missing pages, though
it's hard to prove cuz the numbers jive but not the text.  Another
quarter per hour project. Or less--Lol!  & I'll tell yall what some
more--if I paid for a membership & downloaded this book in the
condition it's in now, I would be sooo royally torked! So even those
books w/excellent ratings--'taint necessarily so.  Bookshare really
needs to get a prevalidating tool up & running.  Or maybe it's just
that I'm a perfectionist & I need to quit worrying about it, do the
minimum, & throw it back up w/all the garbage intact.  I somehow just
cannot bring myself to do it. I really think a prevalidating tool &
refusal to accept books (at least for credit) that aren't good (or
maybe even excellent) quality would be a real start. As it is now, q&d
validators & scanners get credits quickly (so long as the stuff isn't
rejected) while those who are careful about their work struggle to get
theirs.

On 1/14/08, Allison Hilliker <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If one does follow Donna's suggestion of submitting excellent copies of fair
> quality books on the step one page, I have one request.  Please submit your
> excellent copy to the step one page before rejecting the fair quality scan.
> I say this because I know of scanners who reject books because they say they
> will submit a better scan, and then they don't do it.
>
> Just my thoughts,
>
> Allison

Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at: