[bksvol-discuss] Re: Almost on topic, DocuPen

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:27:51 -0500

1. Is a color identifier, with a lot more bells and whistles and more
usefulness for me than the one I have which is a cobalt detector which is
like one fifth the price.  They identify colors that are presented to the
sensor, pretty accurately.  The Color test also tries to give you an idea of
how bright the color is, which comes in really handy for art, and doing
activities with students.  The Kobalt doesn't do that.  But... funding.  The
color detectors work best if you have seen colors before or have knowledge
of what blends with what to make what, smile.

2. Is a bar code reader, reads bar codes off products you purchase, if it is
a national brand, it will already be in the database if it is a local brand
you can label it, in the database and from that point on when you encounter
that item it will label it for you.

And 6 is a mobility electronic aide, which you can use with a guide dog or
cane to locate items in the environment.  For example, as you are walking
down a hall and looking for the next third door, using the beam of the Midi
guide you could find it, and give better feed back to your dog of exactly
where it is.  More accuracy or more landmarks to use in the environment.  Is
a supplement.

It uses sonar technology.  And is a neat little device.

But I really want a Book Courier and hoping someday to get a Franklin
Speller.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council