[bksvol-discuss] Re: ARK (Arkenstone)?

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:01:31 -0500

Colleagues,

Bookshare has promised an intermediate validation area where this type of
conversion can be processed  THose of us who have access to various programs
such as K1K, OB, FR Etc will be able to help those of us who do no have
access to such programs by conducting oh, let's say "partial validation.  We
have to be "patient."  Yes, Yes, we've been saying that for quite a
fewyears.  Let's just wait a bit longer.  As to downloading books and
sending to each other--that's a no no!
As validators, we are not permitted to send complete, scanned books to each
other via electronic or other means.  I'm sure Bookshare will let us know if
this policy has changed.  But  the difference between that process and the
process that bookshare is planning to setup is that via Bookshare's process,
it is able to keep track of what book is where.  It is not always possible
to do so when we, as volunteers, take it upon ourselves to e-mail each
other.  Those of us on this list might be able to work out a mechinism to
notify bookshare, but those of us who are not on the list may not have that
opportunity and might lead to a lot of confusion.  I would urge all of you
forebare from ocnverting material and sending it to each other via any
means.  One or two pages are perfectly fine where validations are concerned,
but entire books are impossible.

Pratik

Pratik Patel
Interim Director