[bksvol-discuss] A few questions about circumventing the stripper, entering descriptive text, and handling tables

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:58:49 -0500

Hi everyone,

Forgive the simplicity of the questions, but I'm new at all of this.

First, from lurking on this list for a little while and such, I gather that
there's a particular format one must follow to protect chapter titles and to
ensure that page numbers are correctly formatted (i.e., not part of the
first or last paragraphs of a page). Below is the format I am using when
removing headers from a book I'm planning to submit. I believe I understood
the correct format accurately, but could someone please confirm/correct the
below for me? The format is:

[Last line of text on page]
[Blank Line]
[Page break]
[Blank line]
[Page number]
[Blank line]
[First line of text on next page]

When a chapter title is involved, everything's the same, but after the page
number, it is:

[Page number]
[Blank line]
[Chapter title]
[Blank line]
[First line of text on the next page]

Is that right, or am I using too many blank lines?

Second, I'm wondering about numbering of blank and preliminary pages. Do I
need to number them with Roman numerals or such, so that the pagination
sequence remains in tact when the automated Bookshare tools create the DAISY
and BRF copies, or is the pagination simply created in accordance with the
page breaks, so that numbering the blank and preliminary pages wouldn't
matter? I've numbered them with Roman numerals using the format specified
above, but if that's not the correct thing to do, I can always remove them.
What should I do?

Next, since I scanned the front, back, and inside front covers, I've placed
text in brackets to indicate this on the relevant pages, following the
format above as if the descriptive text was a chapter title. For instance,
I've typed [Front cover text] and [End of front cover text], [Back cover
text] and [End of back cover text], and [Inside cover text] and [End of
inside cover text] (with the brackets). After the page number of the
relevant page, I've put a blank line, followed by the descriptive text,
followed by another blank line, and finally followed by the first line of
text on the page (i.e., the first line of the front, back, or inside cover
text). For the End of portions, I've put a blank line after the last line of
text on the page, followed by the ending text, followed by a blank line,
followed by the page break. Is it OK to do this, and is the format correct,
or should I just avoid doing it altogether?

Finally, there is a table in this book listing all of the author's books.
Before this table, as part of the inside cover text, is a chronological
listing of these same books, which I've included in the file, so this table
is essentially a repeat of the inside cover text. It scanned in K1000 as a
table, but I converted the table to text. The original table was made up of
two, side-by-side columns, each containing different lists of series (this
author tends to write books in series). When it was converted to text, Word
(which I used to do the conversion because I was editing in Word at that
moment) placed the columns underneath one another, but rather than listing
all values of Column 1 followed by all values of Column 2, under each value
of Column 1 was its corresponding value for Column 2. So, for instance, it
looks like:

Title of series 1
Title of Series 2
Book 1 of Series 1
Book 1 of Series 2
Book 2 of Series 1
Book 2 of Series 2
etc.

I've rearranged the text, so that each of the series titles are listed
correctly and chronologically under their respective titles. So for
instance, under Series 1 are listed the five books of that series in
chronological order, followed by the title of Series 2 and its corresponding
books, etc. My question, however, is whether I should arrange the series
themselves chronologically in the order in which they were written, as they
are presented in the inside cover? The table was arranged such that, in
order to read the series titles in the order in which they were written, the
reader would read all the way down the left column and then read down the
right column. So, for instance, following my above example, where I've
designated odd numbers for the left-hand column and even numbers for the
right, Series 1 was the first one the author wrote, followed by Series 3,
then 5, and so on, and when the last series in the left-hand column was
reached, the reader would look at the top of the right-hand column, meaning
the next series written was Series 2, then Series 4, and so on until the end
of the table was reached. My question, therefore, is whether I should
rearrange this table further to reflect the order in which the series were
written, or should I leave it as described above (i.e., first series of left
column, followed by first series in right column, followed by second series
in left column, etc.), considering that the series titles are already listed
in chronological order elsewhere? Or should I reformat, so that all of the
left-hand column's content is listed, followed by all of the right-hand
column's content underneath that?

Sorry for all the excessive verbiage, but I just wanted to make sure I
explained myself clearly. I do hope all of the above was clear, and thanks
so much for any assistance any of you can provide.

Regards,
Maria
Maria Kristic
Skype: MariaKristic