[bksvol-discuss] Re: A book I want to sumbit, Adult content?

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:03:12 -0500

Hi all,

Liz, if we go by your very cogent thinking, I can live with it. So long as the synopses clearly indicate what the book is about, then we've done our job. It is, as you so rightly say, up to parents and teachers to teach teens discrimination. I have never, ever been for censorship. I do think that there are some books which should be read and discussed with adults by children, but that's me.

the problem comes when kids aren't taught discrimination. they read everything, but they can't or don't have the opportunity to discuss what they read. How does this affect their understanding and their thinking?

However, you are right that it is not a library's task to teach discrimination. That is somebody else's job and if we clearly label our books, we can do no more.

As I say, I'm willing to retract my view of tabu books with Liz's proviso.

Ann P.