[bksvol-discuss] A Temporary Solution

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <tears2pearls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:28:34 -0500

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about Julie Carpenter's post all night.
It has really bothered me because while she is correct about copyright
law, Bookshare's existing tools and their words seem so out of touch
with what we need to do to get books proofread. I think I have a
temporary solution, the equivalent of a band-aid. It should satisfy
Bookshare. Will it work for us volunteers too? You'll need to decide if
it's worth doing.

Under the new site where we do things now, the submitter cannot download
her book to do anything to it once it's in the proofreading queue. She
can't replaced garbled or missing pages, even if it would take just a
minute or two. Nor can a third volunteer supply missing pages for a
proofreader using the Bookshare site itself. That's why missing pages
are usually emailed. How would it be if the submitter rescanned the
missing content and submitted it as if it were a book, putting a hold
for the proofreader in the title. It could be titled something like
"Hold for Monica Missing Pages." I would know to get that file and
insert its contents into the book I'm working on. Then I'd reject the
submitted file that contains only the missing pages.

The big downside here is that the proofreader must have an open slot on
his/her queue to be able to download the file of missing pages. So it
would take some deliberate planning, and people would need to really
respect the holds on files so that someone's missing pages don't just
disappear.

This might make a little extra work for the staff, but we'd be following
Bookshare's policies. It would definitely make more work for us, and
that's why I say it's a temporary solution. It's a band-aid, not a
permanent answer. We would need to advocate for the Bookshare developers
to fix the site to let the submitter or another volunteer add missing
content legally without creating a fake book. It can be done if the
staff is willing to make it happen. The technology exists, so it's not
like asking Bookshare to build a new site. They'd just need to change a
module of code, not the entire framework.

How do you feel about this solution? Is it worth a try?

Monica Willyard
Check out my books and accessible book lists on Goodreads at
http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick

GIF image