[bksvol-discuss] 30 books left for scanners

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:20:15 -0400

Dear Booksharian Friends,

The freebee list for submitters list is down to about 30 books thanks to some quick responders and to a friend for letting me know that Sunberned Country was already in the collection.

The books below are still available. If a number is missing, it means the book by that number is in the mail or has already reached its destination. Contact me at airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with your requests and your address and I'll send your books in a few days via media mail.

I send books none of you ask for to Bookshare, but they are very backlogged with donations. Thanks very much for pitching in. From this batch of books, 24 are on their way in to the collection that otherwise might not have been added.

This is a fabulous group of volunteers who make a tremendous impact on the Bookshare collection. Never forget how well we're doing. If you feel discouraged, talk to me. I'll remind you how much fun it is to volunteer and how neat it is to have a choice of the kinds of books we work on.

If you're new, take your time. Nobody expects you to absorb and apply all of the tips and tricks in a single gulp. Those of us who have worked on hundreds of books cringe when we remember our first attempts. We learned as we went along and are still picking up new ideas. Perfection isn't expected though some of us like to chase it. If you aren't having an interesting and fun time, you're probably worrying too much. One reason we don't hear from staff is that they're very pleased with our books and impressed with the way we help each other along. 4. Horace Splattly: The Cupcaked Crusader, Book 1, by Lawrence David, trade paperback, 137 pages. Horace is the smallest ten year old in town, empowered by his sister's chemically altered cupcakes and forced to wear an ugly, purple outfit.

5. Horace Splattly: The Cupcaked Crusader, When Second Graders Attack, Book 2, by Lawrence David, trade paperback 154 pages. All the food in town has been replaced with bad-tasting snoodles, and kids are throwing gravy snack cup-bombs.

6. Tale of the Unfinished Masterpiece, book 4 of The Rugrats Files, A Time Travel Adventure, by Maria Rosado, trade paperback, 139 pages, ages 8-12. The rugrats go to sixteenth-century Florence, Italy, looking for a palace and Leonardo da Vinci and hoping to fix their broken flying machine.

7. The Big Bang Theory, Butt-Ugly Martians, book 1, by Gerry Bailey, trade paperback, 84 pages. Martians--Doo-wah Diddy, 2-T-Fru-T, and B,Bop-A-Luna are sent to conquer the Earth, but they love fast food, video games, rock music and humans, so they befriend three kids.

9. Juice, by Eric Walters, paperback but very white paper and good contrast print, should get an excellent scan, 100 pages, reading level 2.9, for teens and older, about kids in footbal taking steroids.

10. Invasion of the Appleheads, Deadtime Stories, book 2 of 10, by A. G. Cascone, paperback, 128 pages. Their parents are turned into shrunken old applehead dolls, the witches and ghouls look real, can Robin and Andy stop something rotten in Appleton?

11. Blast Off If You Dare: Stories from Space Mountain, by Cathy East Dubowski, trade paperback, 88 pages. Aliens, mosters and spaceships gallore.

12. The Otterbury Incident, by C. Day Lewis, paperback, 190 pages. An imaginative novel about young kids playing football.

13. We Wish You A Scary Christmas, by M. T. Coffin, #16 in the Spinetinglers series, paperback, 135 pages. Santa may be gone for good. Strange people have a prisoner in their basement. You may be captured too, if you help him.

16. Nighty-Nightmare, by James Howe, sequel to Bunnicula, paperback, 121 pages. Bunnicula's friends have adventures staying in the woods overnight. Ages 8-12.

18. The Skeleton on the Skateboard, number 2 in the Graveyard School series, paperback, 120 pages. Skate and Vickie want to learn secrets from a new skateboarder to beat mean Eddie in a contest, but may have to make deadly moves in return.

20. Starbright and the Dream Eater, by Joy Cowley, hardcover, 139 pages. Why is the twon worried about a mysterious sickness, that Starbright thinks is a media scare? Then Mark, her best friend, falls asleep and won't wake up.

23. The Worm Tunnel: A Finnegan Zwake Mystery, by Michael Dahl, paperback, 163 pages. Thirteen-year-old Zwake, and his uncle, a mystery writer, are digging for dinosaur eggs and dig up murder. Zwakes parents are missing as well.

24. Laggan Lard Butts, by Eric Walters, paperback, 108 pages. High interest, low vocabulary. A quitter never wins, and a Lard Butt never quits.

25. Wild Horse Running, by Sam Savitt, paperback, 153 pages. About the wild mustang's deep need for freedom.

26. Mucho Madness: Spy Kids Adventures Number 3, by Elizabeth Linhard, paperback, 136 pages. Going to visit Nana in Spain, the kids are told to stop a crazy architect using a chemical to make everyone extra sleepy.

27. OSS Wilderness: Spy Kids Adventures Number 4, by Elizabeth Lenhard, paperback, 128 pages, ages 8-12. Carmen and Juni go to OSS for camp for training and fun. The director is hypnotizing campers to take over the world.

28. Superstar Spies: Spy Kids Adventures Number 7, by Elizabeth Linhard, paperback, 139 pages. The kids are sent a rock star whose talent comes from a jewel that gives power to the owner.

32. The Haunted Trail: Phantom Rider Book 2, by Janni Lee Simner, RL 5, ages 10-12, paperback, 139 pages. Star is chasing Pepper, who throws Callie. Callie wonders if her horse, Pepper, really loves her before the world goes dark.

33. Ghost Vision: Phantom Rider Book 4, by Janni Lee Simner, RL 5, ages 10-12, paperback, 137 pages. Callie helps to clear the land for their new house and pool to earn horseback riding lessons.

34. Trial by Fire: Bionicle Adventures Number 2, by Greg Farshtey, paperback, 136 pages. The Toa are searching for the Disks of Power to defeat Morbuzakh.

35. Escape to Deer Island: Twin Adventure Escape, by Jeanette Windle, paperback, 125 pages. Justin is in danger alone in the freezing wilderness at night.

36. The Mermaid Summer, by Mollie Hunter, hardcover, 119 pages. Kids seek their grandfather, whom they believe was lured away by a mermaid.

Adult Books

40. Crossroads: The Life and Music of Eric Clapton, by Michael Schumacher, hardcover, about 385 pages, with discography 1964-94, timeline and index.

41. The Purification Ceremony, by Mark T. Sullivan, hardcover, 335 pages. Diana is at home in the Maine wilderness. She goes with seven hunters to British Columbia to track white tailed deer and resolve issues in her past.

43. Bad Medicine: An Ella Clah Novel, by Aimee and David Thurlo, hardcover, 350 pages. Former FBI agent, Ella, has returned to the reservation and investigates a politically sensitive case while protecting a dear friend from unjust persecution.

45. Tennessee: Cry of the Heart by Dotson Rader hardcover, 348 pages. Friend of Tennessee Williams writes memoir of the playwright's final years. Includes hundreds of anecdotes, some feature famous people like Marlon Brando, Norman Mailer, Castro and Elizabeth Taylor.

49. The Love-Powered Diet: When Will Power Is Not Enough, by Victoria Moran, hardcover, 309 pages. Includes menus, about 30 recipes, a short index and bibliography.

50. For Yourself, The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality, by Lonnie Barbach, Ph.D., trade paperback, 238 pages. A guide to achieving orgasms, should be read by women and their partners.

51. A Case of Curiosities, by Allen Kurzweil, like new hardcover, 358 pages. Curiosities found in Paris after two centuries trace adventures of a young man destined to be France's most gifted inventor, begins when Claude is ten years old.

Always with love,

Lissi