[bksvol-discuss] Re: 1st glitch

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:17:39 -0400

Hi Kellie,

I just did a couple of simple tests, and I can't seem to figure out what would cause one to loose page breaks in Wordpad. I created a simple document in MS Word, i.e. Page 1 [page break] page 2 [page break], etc. I then opened it in Wordpad, added some text, and checked in Word. No problem all page breaks still there. I then went back into Wordpad, deleted some text, saved again, and checked once more. Still no problem. I did the above steps using the Save option in Wordpad, and then I went back and tried again using the Save As option to see if anything different happened. Still no problem. I then looked around in Wordpad settings to see if anything looked like a likely culprit, but no joy. I then attacked the help files to see if there were any references to pages or page breaks, but nothing.
I guess the next logical step would be more info.
What program created the RTF file?
What version of Windows?
What version of Wordpad?
Was Wordpad the only program used for editing?

Regarding Wordpad itself, I'd have to say, it really is a crappy program for the overall editing of a book, but it is useful for quick jobs. I.e. resaving a rtf file that Bookshare doesn't recognize as a RTF document; minor changes; getting the title, author, copyright, ISBN, etc.
While I can't get it to eat page breaks, it seems particularly poor at allowing a user to check pagination as the page breaks show up as blank lines, and I couldn't find a reveal codes setting.
By the way, I'm using Windows XP Home, Wordpad V5.1, and using Jaws 4.51.

Dave

At 06:22 PM 5/23/2004, you wrote:

Hi Dave,
I never thought WordPad ate formatting either, but I've been working with E
to figure out why pagination was removed from several of her files, and
WordPad seems to be the culprit. I'm going to try performing a few
experiments to see if this is true, and if anything can be done to prevent
it, besides not using WordPad I mean. <grin> Any theories or ideas you may
have on the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kellie