[bks-img-desc] Welcome to the Bookshare Image Description Discussion List

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bks-img-desc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bks-img-desc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:18:51 -0700

Welcome,

Tonight the Bookshare Image Description Volunteers' Discussion List opened as a
resource for all active Bookshare image describers. I hope this forum will
offer you a chance to ask questions and share what you have learned.

We are a small exclusive group of pioneers. Right now there are only 34 of us
on the list but that will multiply several times in very short order! While
most on the list are from the US I see Africa, South Asia, and South America
already represented.

It will take a couple weeks before the list gets much traffic. However, you may
want to prepare by going to the list management URL and setting to receive only
the Digest version rather than every single post. You can find that here:
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=bks-img-desc

You can also always find the list archive here:
//www.freelists.org/archive/bks-img-desc/

The purpose of the list is to establish a culture of collaboration and
peer-mentoring in Bookshare's Image Description community. While we are now
only dozens it will not be long before we are more than a thousand. That's when
the convenience of answering a question only once for everybody will really be
appreciated.

Meanwhile, refer to this URL for instruction on image description:

https://diagram-center.herokuapp.com/help/DescriptionGuidance.html

Always feel free to contact me directly also:

Scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Scott Rains
Bookshare Volunteer Program