[bitlug] networking over serial port

  • From: "pavan t chandra" <pavan_tc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 11 May 2004 04:09:29 -0000

Hi all,
Here is the problem statement :
( And let me add that this problem is being faced by me, and I am the proud
owner of the antique hardware mentioned below :) )

There is an old machine without a PCI interface (has only ISA) and a realtively
newer one with both ISA and PCI. The quest is to network both.

One solution is to find 16-bit (ISA) n/w cards and find the drivers for them,
get a cross-over cable and be happy connecting them. But I personally found it
impossible to find a n/w driver for 16-bit cards. (If anyone can find one, i'll
be glad :) ).

The other is what the subject line suggests. Make a point-to-point network
using PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) over serial port. Does it sound exciting?
Anyone interested?

PS : If anyone found *anything* that he/she did not understand in the lines
above, or is not familiar with it, shoot questions.
For ex, "what is networking" and "what is a serial port" are two very good