[bitlug] Re: a useful c trick

  • From: Peeyush Prasad <peeyush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:15:40 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Turuvanur Pavan-A20404 wrote:

> > otherwise.I think this setting is available in almost all clients...
> you said almost, and you are right. Microsoft Outlook has
> a way of intelligently denying this. There are two types
> of accounts in Outlook, the Corporate/Workgroup or internet email.
> And internet email a/c is not provided in Motorola. The
> corporate a/c does not provide you with this configuration, since
> such formatting happens on the server side of the mailing system.
> Now, can you think of any *software* being *that bureaucratic*?
> or preposterous, should i say?
> I did spend a lot of my initial time on this, and found a hack/patch
> on MS Outlook which does it, but was not able to install it, since
> i dont have admin privileges. It might take some time and till then,
> i'll try and do it manually. Sorry about it.
> >  Also, if the header changes, I just add another field to my
> > structure,while you have to look for and modify every malloc
> > you make...
> I dont understand why. I think sizeof(struct blahblah) will do it.
> You might have been misled by the code snippet that i sent.
> TC

you were right.I was misled by this line:
 "For example, if the payload is 1500 bytes in size, then,
struct net_packet *pkt = (struct net_packet*)malloc(1500+3*sizeof(int)+1);"
 Also, if you use sizeof(struct net_packet),I think you lose a byte
because of that char payload[1].This might not be significant,coz anyways
structure padding might make you lose more.
 Will try to get some numbers on wastage that way...

Also, can't you use some other clients like evolution,balsa... why stuck
on outlook?? the others also have those reminders and calenders,if you use
 Will bear, but only for a limited time! :-)
-- P