[bitlug] Re: [Beowulf] Which is better GNU C or JAVA (for network programing)(fwd)

  • From: Peeyush Prasad <peeyush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <bitcompsci02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<kiggaboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:05:10 +0530 (IST)

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:16:19 +0100
From: Alan Ward i Koeck <award@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: beowulf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Which is better GNU C  or  JAVA (for network
    programing)

Well, my own preference goes to Python, which

- has a syntax I prefer a lot over C
- while being an interpreted language, manages to be reasonably speedy,
unlike Java
- has a fair amount of predefined library objects you can use to access
POSIX system routines

but I do recognize that low-level stuff definately should be
coded in C. Now, as to just what "low-level" means ...

Best regards,
Alan Ward

"Robert G. Brown" wrote:
(snip)

> Let it be Jihad, then.
>
> The answer technically is "it depends".  This is to make the vast horde
> of java programmers feel loved, and to acknowledge that for writing web
> applications their primary scripting language (like perl, python and
> many another before it) has a purpose in God's world.
>
> There.  Let us bask for a moment in the serenity of our knowledge that
> we have the complete freedom to choose, and that there are no wrong
> answers.
>
> Now we can give the correct answer, which is "C".
(snip)