[birdky] Re: wren attacking hummingbird replica

  • From: Jim Seelhorst <jaseelhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:28:38 -0400

Thinking more about it.  I have had the wind chime out for two years now, and
carolina wrens are regulars in our yard year round.  Plus I've seen wrens in
the shrub beside the chime countless times, but I have never observed any of
them show even a hint of agression toward it.  Makes me wonder how many times
it may have occurred before now.   Curious.

Jim Seelhorst
Louisville> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:25:10 -0700> From: dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [birdky] wren attacking hummingbird replica> To:
jaseelhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> > Jim,> > A really interesting story, thanks for
sharing it.> > dave> > > --- On Sun, 10/19/08, Jim Seelhorst
<jaseelhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > > From: Jim Seelhorst
<jaseelhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx>> > Subject: [birdky] wren attacking hummingbird
replica> > To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 12:39
AM> > I have a wind chime hanging outside with an almost life-size> > replica
of a rt hummingbird serving as the wind catcher. > > This morning a carolina
wren flew into a shrub next to the> > wind chime. The wren looked around and
then surprised me by> > flying onto the back of the replica and aggressively
pecking> > at the head several times. It flew back to its perch> > seemingly
poised for another go at the replica when it> > settled down and flew to other
shrubs to forage. I wanted> > to say it was catching some bug on the replica,
but the> > pecks weren't grabbing for food. One never knows what> > interesting
behavior might be observed at any given moment.> > > > Jim Seelhorst> >
Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around >
http://mail.yahoo.com