[birdky] Re: where are the hummers?

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:57:47 -0400

I have been meaning to post about the lack of hummers in my neck of the woods
for some time. I've had two gorgeous blushes of blooms on my red honeysuckle,
mimosas in full flower for a few weeks, plenty of other flowers, and a couple
of feeders out and I have not see a one *all year* here on our family farm. I
know from traveling about that there are birds around, but I have to think that
last year's apparent lack of nesting success is resulting in unusually low
numbers again this year. We can only hope that if that is what happened that
the birds that are around will have plenty of nesting success this year to
bolster numbers. Last fall we saw virtually nothing of a migratory peak during
August and September in the Louisville area ... I'm just hoping for something
of a bump in numbers this year to indicate that numbers are rebounding.
According to Bob Sargent, all is well in central Alabama with plenty of birds
so this has to be something going on in more northern areas.

bpb, Louisville