[birdky] red-shouldered hawk?

  • From: Michael Hamm <michael.hamm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:07:54 -0500

This morning while walking my dogs in our neighborhood (Danville) I heard a
hawk call. Sure enough, a hawk was sitting on top of a big tree about 50 yds
away. I assumed it was a Cooper's. But by the time I returned with binoculars,
it was gone. Having heard its call, we played all the pertinent hawk
vocalizations on our bird-jam and the only good possibility was a
red-shouldered hawk. I know we're within range, but this hawk is fairly
uncommon, I think? Is it likely to be a red-shouldered?

Mike Hamm
Danville