[birdky] Re: purple martin question

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vivyasgur76@xxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 21:03:55 -0500

I agree that the frequent rain has slowed the martins' nesting activity.  I
usually see the first eggs during the first week of May here in NE Kentucky.
But this year, the birds have just begun nest building since this past
weekend.  My first returning martin was late this year (April 1) by about 7
days from the average (March 24).  Activity should improve dramatically when
sunny and dry conditions return.

Scott Freidhof
Rowan County