[birdky] ??? on RPT of Yesterday

15 July 2011:

A responsible birder has questioned my report of Lesser Scaup from the KY
739 Transient Pond asking if the bird might have been a single eclipse
Blue-winged Teal.

I must confess that I did not consider that possibility at the time of
observation, the bird simply "said" Lesser Scaup.  I realized that this
species was out of place, but I did not consider Blue-winged Teal as a
possible candidate.  I am not used to seeing Blue-winged Teal in eclipse
plumage and I am not used to observing single females.

Upon further review, I must conclude that I did not rule out either during
the observation and that either is more likely than Lesser Scaup.

Having said that, I will try to get back to the Pond before the bird and/or
the pond leave us; I presently consider it to be a member of the family
Anatidae which requires further study to accurately ID.

Mark Bennett

Russellville, Logan County

benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx