[birdky] Re: interesting birding

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 14:16:12 -0500

Well, after todays birding I doubled my number of Green Herons. So I am up to 8
this year.

But I have no Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, no Black-and-white Warblers, no
Lincoln’s Sparrow.
As brought up earlier this season: Bluebirds are almost non-existant for me.

Charlie
Henderson Co.

On May 23, 2015, at 8:26 AM, linda craiger <lindacraiger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have 2 Green Herons around the ponds in my neighborhood.
Linda Craiger /Glasgow

Rob Lane <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:
This has been an odd Spring migration for sure in Jefferson Co as well.

High numbers of some species, I think I personally had more Blackpoll
warblers this spring than I have ever had. Also several locations of
Henslow's sparrow, Black-billed Cuckoo, and Connecticut Warbler all which can
perhaps be a hard or easily missed bird species.

While notable misses and low species count include Golden-winged Warblers (
none in Jefferson Co. that I'm aware of), Lincoln's Sparrow, Philadelphia
Vireo and Green Heron as well.

It would be interesting to see other trends or differences around the state
concerning this 2015 Spring Migration.

Good Birding

Rob Lane
Louisville KY

On May 22, 2015, at 10:15 PM, Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx
<mailto:cr4d@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

1) I have seen exactly 4 Green Herons this year in KY. 1 in each of only 4
occasions; out of my 54 KY checklists for Mar, Apr, & May.
They definitely seem under normal numbers.

Charlie
Henderson Co.

On May 22, 2015, at 8:07 PM, (Redacted sender "HapC1@xxxxxxx
<mailto:HapC1@xxxxxxx>" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I've been wandering around western Kentucky by car and kayak lately. Three
things that I thought I'd share with this group.
1) I can't seem to find Green Heron's anywhere. Are they hiding under low
branches as I paddle past or are they missing?
2) I encountered either a Red-shafted or hybrid flicker on the levee in
Fulton County. I chased it around but it would not pose for a photo. Could
not say for sure which it was but it was a fun bird to see.
3) We started our MAPS sessions at Clark's River NWR yesterday. We
recaptured an Acadian Flycatcher that we first banded 05/29/2009. This was
exciting data for our station, this bird was an adult in 2009. That bird
has traveled a lot of miles in those years.
Enjoy a save holiday weekend.
Hap
Murray, KY