[birdky] great white heron still inn putnam co., tn

  • From: Steve Stedman <SSTEDMAN@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:13:57 -0500 (CDT)

Everyone will be chasing Sooty Terns this week-end, but
if you are passing exit 268 on I-40 you will be within
a mile of a Great White Heron.  Take Rt. 96 south from
the exit about a mile to the Happy Hollow Boat Ramp
on the right and walk down the ramp to the river and
scan, mostly to the right, for the heron, which has been
at this site for at least two weeks.  I saw it yesterday
as did Terry Campbell.  Terry saw it next to a normal-
colored bird for good size comparison, and he also heard
it give a typical Great Blue Heron vocalization.

Photos at this website:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/FallBirdCount2002PUC.htm

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN