[birdky] bky " Bootheel Birds"

      For those of you who live in W. Kentucky, the "bootheel of Missouri"
is not a foreign word.  It signifies Mississippi Delta, poor folks, cotton,
and unbearable dry, hot summer days. However, there are some
positives.   Traveling from  Jonesboro, Arkansas to Murray, Ky. yesterday
my peripheral vision noted egrets. This is at the Pierce Catfish
Farms  Dyesburg, Tn exit going north on I-55.  I was able to access the
farm on a side road, whereupon I saw a flight of Black-neck Stilts land on
the edge of the ponds. They numbered 14 along with at least that many Snowy
Egrets plus 25 Least Terns, 3 Black Terns, Spotted Sandpipers, and G.
Egrets.  An employee told me that the Great Blues were the nemesis of the
catfish population.  He said the other birds were eating "green
catapillars" and "snails" at the water's edge.
      It is amazing that these birds have adjusted to the noise and
pollution of the highway plus short lived food sources.   Just two weeks
ago I observed a plethora of shorebirds on a drained catfish pond in Green
County Arkansas. One week later the pond was full, and no birds present.
      I know this is not Kentucky birds, but when you live in Murray, it is
closer than other parts of Ky.

Melissa Easley
Murray, Ky.

E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx