[birdky] bits of birding

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:19:29 -0500

On Sunday Rhonda and I walked about Spindletop here in Lexington. we had
a good number of pipits, hordes of Savannah Sparrows, 9 Green-winged
Teal, Merlin, and an immature Northern Harrier.

Last night I had 3 titmice in my yard. This may not seem so notable, but
they are the first I have ever seen at my feeders (15 years). we have
always had chickadees but are a little too out in the open for titmice I
guess.

We had the opportunity 2 weeks ago to watch a Red-breasted Nuthatch (out
of state) stashing his cache. Off and  on for more than an hour he
carried pine seed from the same tree storing them in the crevices of
bark of a couple other  trees.

We also had the opportunity to kayak some salt marsh in Georgia that
week, and I had in my binoculars, simultaneously, a Nelson's
Sharp-tailed, a Salt Marsh Sharp-tailed, and a Seaside Sparrow. they
were quite comfortable with our approach in the kayaks.

Scott

Lexington, ky