[birdky] bird report from Hart County

  • From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 20:56:20 -0500

The beautiful weather didn't slow down any migrants for us to see, but it was a
fabulous day to be out and tally 90 species. highlights:
7 r-b grosbeaks
blue grosbeak
5 swallow spp (inc martins)
2 great horned owls, flushed and seen
7 solitary sandpipers
bobolink
swainson's thrush
green and great blue herons
both tanagers
both orioles
warblers included worm-eating, ovenbird, kentucky, palm, pine, common
yell-throat, yellow-throated, l. waterthrush, chat, prairie, parula, yellow
1 purple finch
3 white-crowned sparrows

five years ago, we had only one known location where we could reliably find
tree swallows. today we found them at 4 locations, including a nesting pair in
a bluebird box in my wife's school yard.
also, bluebirds were everywhere. this may be the most we've had in ten years.
blue jay populations are way up from the past two springs; hopefully they'll
continue to bounce back from west nile.
enjoy the spring,
Steve Kistler