[birdky] backyard kill

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ASK Freelists" <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 07:10:52 -0400

I was eating supper last night, with a view of the backyard via the
sliding glass door. I caught motion and looked to see my chickens
(running loose for the evening) scattering and hiding under the
miscanthus grass, spruce tree, and the remains of the caged tomato
plants. I went out to check on the ruckus, and calm the hens down. I
picked up one of the ones that wouldn't stop cackling, and counted
heads; all counted for. As I talked to my hen, still quite disturbed, a
feather floated down before us. I looked up to see an large immature
Cooper's plucking a starling. Apparently my presence and talking within
15 foot of the hawk had not bothered it, but eye contact and she lifted
off taking her catch with her; such a powerful flight. She looked really
healthy and strong. The chickens were immediately over it and back to
foraging. I finished supper.

Scott Marsh

Lexington KY