[birdky] Western Henderson Co.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:55:53 -0500

Between the flooding that kept me out of the Sloughs and then going on
2 weeks vacation, it has been a long spell for me not posting on the
Sloughs.
So here is my report as of this morning (the 30th.)

The Ohio River officially dropped below flood stage overnight finally.

Lots of shorebird habitat without the shorebirds!!

I attempted to get to Horseshoe Road slough but 136 beyond 1574 was
impassible.

Wood Tract north of 268 had no standing water but looked like 40 acres
of mud that will start to dry very soon.
Wood Tract south of 268 had plenty of corn stubble amid the mud.

Shorebird Unit has lots of water and good habitat, but just Killdeer
and a single male Blue-winged Teal.

Pond Creek Marsh has lots of water and the marsh weeds are starting to
really grow.

Hardy Slough was full of water. It was overflowing the south dam
despite the best efforts of the beavers.

Muddy Slough was full of water and marsh plants.

West Franklin Road is partially under water. But the east end had lots
of habitat for shorebirds, but none present.

The Sloughs Headquarters shows evidence of flooding with mud lines
along the walls up 19 inches.

Location:     Sloughs WMA -Gentle P., Pond Creek Marsh, Hardy Slough,
SBU
Observation date:     5/30/11, 6AM to 10:20AM
Number of species:     60

Canada Goose     15     1 at Hardy Slough, flightless, with broken
left wing
Wood Duck     5
Mallard     1
Blue-winged Teal     1     at Shorebird Unit
Hooded Merganser     1     at Hardy Slough
Northern Bobwhite     X
Great Blue Heron     X
Snowy Egret     1     overflight at Shorebird Unit
Little Blue Heron     2     overflight at Shorebird Unit with Snowy
Egret
Turkey Vulture     X
Bald Eagle     4
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Killdeer     X
Mourning Dove     X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo     X
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Downy Woodpecker     X
Northern Flicker     X
Pileated Woodpecker     X
Eastern Wood-Pewee     X
Acadian Flycatcher     X
Great Crested Flycatcher     X
Eastern Kingbird     X
White-eyed Vireo     X
Yellow-throated Vireo     2
Warbling Vireo     X
Blue Jay     X
American Crow     X
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     X
Tree Swallow     X
Barn Swallow     X
Carolina Chickadee     X
White-breasted Nuthatch     X
Carolina Wren     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     X
Eastern Bluebird     X
American Robin     X
Gray Catbird     1
Brown Thrasher     3
European Starling     X
Cedar Waxwing     6
Northern Parula     X
Yellow Warbler     X
Black-throated Green Warbler     X
Yellow-throated Warbler     1     gathering nest material in vines
along road to Pond Creek Marsh, 1 good jpg
Prothonotary Warbler     X
Common Yellowthroat     X
Yellow-breasted Chat     X
Field Sparrow     X